https://www.facebook.com/chelseakrayfashionconsultant     https://instagram.com/chelseakray/     https://www.pinterest.com/chelseakray/     http://everydayfashiononabudget.tumblr.com/     https://twitter.com/Chelseakrayblog

Monday, August 3, 2015

Fit



The more I learn about fashion, the more I realize the importance of fit.  No matter how much you love something, if it doesn't fit well, your outfit will reflect it.  Certain styles fit better on certain body types and there's no tailoring that can fix it.  Being almost six feet tall, I know a lot about wanting something to look good, but it just doesn't fit. 

Take this dress pictured above, for example.  I got it from Express for an event and when I put it on, the first thing my husband said was, "that dress doesn't look good on you".  He wasn't being a jerk, he just meant it didn't fit well.  I rarely say this, but he was actually right.  It didn't.  I bought it off the rack and it wasn't flattering on my body at all.  A month later my girlfriend, Zephi comes over and I'm like, "try this on".  SHUT UP.  Just stop right there and look at how amazing this dress looks on her!  It fits her perfectly.

Needless to say, the dress is hers and I'm happy it went to a body that fit it well (although if you got a bod like Zephi's, pretty much everything looks amazing).  It was a good reminder that trying things on before you buy them is essential.  Things look completely different on a rack, as they do on a mannequin, as they do on your body.

Here are a few simple guidelines to finding the right fit for your body:
-Always highlight your best asset.  If you're heavier on the bottom, wear flared skirts, wide leg pants and pair your volumed bottom with a more fitted top to accentuate your waist.  Same if you're top heavy.  Wear more flowey tops with slim pants or fitted skirts, to highlight your legs.
-When shopping for pants, make sure the waist and seat of the pants fit.  Length can always be tailored. 
-If you're short, don't be afraid of heels!  They're your best friend in making your legs look longer and helping longer pieces fit better.  If you're tall like Zephi and I, check out OldNavy.com for longer lengths in pants and tops.

Fit is so important in making any outfit look better.  A well fitted pair of pants will make you feel like you can take on anything.  A perfectly fitted dress will turn heads.  Try things on and if they don't fit in the dressing room, nothing is going to change when you get home.  Buy things that fit and you'll look like a fashion pro.





No comments:

Post a Comment